Audubon Adventures Enhances Delaware Science Curriculum
Delaware middle school teachers and students love Audubon Adventures. The program reaches approximately 5,000 students statewide a year.
This involves almost 200 classrooms in grades 3 to 5 in 14 of Delaware's 15 school districts with elementary schools. Based on statistics from a previous school year, it is estimated that approximately 40% of the students came from families with incomes below the poverty line.
Delaware Audubon is able to offer free subscriptions to this outstanding educational program to Delaware teachers again this year.
Audubon Adventures is geared towards grades 3-5, and is written on a 5th grade reading level. The materials are aligned to national standards for language arts and science. By incorporating conservation topics into an existing syllabus, teachers greatly enhance students' science literacy while reinforcing learning in language arts and other curriculum areas.
Delaware Audubon Society is proud to offer Audubon Adventures to Delaware teachers in an effort to bring children closer to nature in our communities. Hopefully we are helping to raise a new generation of Delawareans with a greater appreciation and concern for their environment.
The program is filled with resources for students and teachers:
- A National Standards Alignment List identifying how Audubon Adventures meets the national language arts and science standard;
- Four editions of the Audubon Adventures student newspaper;
- A classroom resource guide for teachers and students complete with background information on each newspaper topic, detailed lesson plans, tips for outdoor study, hands-on activities, research material, duplicating masters, links to relevant websites, glossaries and more;
- A class certificate acknowledging students' participation in the program;
- A free membership in the Delaware Audubon Society, which includes the Delaware Audubon newsletter;
- A free subscription to Audubon magazine;
- Participation in Audubon's citizen science programs, including the annual Great Backyard Bird Count
In addition to Audubon Adventures, teachers may also want to consider using Delaware Audubon's "Piping Plover Suite" musical composition as a companion piece. You can learn about the "Piping Plover Suite" by clicking here.